Monday, August 1, 2011

Harvest Monday- August 1st

Carrots, tomatoes, corn and a broccoli sprouts. Getting just enough broccoli sprouts for dh to have a little side of broccoli with his lunch. Some of these carrots reached the bottom of the box and took a turn.

These are Dwarf Taylor Bush beans, or horticultural beans. Many of them did not reach their full maturity before I pulled them. The beans were just looking miserable and I wanted to make space for others. They should still be alright I think. I didn't dry them, I just put them in the freezer to use soon.  Maybe a spicy chicken chili or something.

Basil for Bruschetta I shared with you through pictures earlier in the week.

Tomatoes. A little basil drying in my makeshift tray behind it.

Kennebec potatoes and beans. Tried to find some more potatoes in the tubs to try to use for  dinner. This was all I could find.


Tomatoes and broccoli sprouts. In the back and middle are Cherokee Purple. The med red ones on the right are Arkansas Traveler. On the left the med red ones are Stupice. Then I have Black Cherry, and unknown cherry and two small Matt's Wild Cherry. Daughter's favorite. And they aren't turning red fast enough for her. The plant is huge though and has plenty of green ones, so it is only a matter of time.

Went out to a dead Honey Bear Acorn squash plant. SVB's. Got one squash out of the plant. So far I am 2 squash for 2 plants. Squash is just not doing well in the garden this year. I have yet to have a summer squash out of 8 plants. There is another very large Brandywine. And one lonely little strawberry that my daughter ate. She get's em all!

Some small cabernet onions I found hiding among the Parsnips that I forgot about. They weren't growing because they were completely shaded out.

Picked the coriander and going to collect the seeds to be planted for Cilantro. Maybe see how they do over winter again!
Tomatoes, carrots and 3rd Acorn squash. So far that squash plant it still alive, but barely. The borers have been in it, though I may have killed some and the plant seems to still be living. We'll see if I get anything else out of it.

Basil
It's Harvest Monday at Daphne's Dandelions. Click on over to see what everyone is harvesting. You will find new ideas for things to grow and salivate over everyone's produce!

13 comments:

  1. Lovely harvest - I particularly like the look of those onions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems so strange to me to see that many tomatoes and carrots sharing the counter this time of year. LOL. But then again that is only becuase they wouldn't here. What a lovely harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic variety your have in your garden!!! Your onions are just gorgeous (I really need to plant some pretty onions this fall) and you have SO MUCH basil!!! Hilarious how carrots will follow the path you give them! I've planted a few in pots for the first time...I'm curious to see what they do :-) Congrats on your wonderful harvest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a bountiful week for you! Those darn SVB's....we need to figure out a way to keep them out of our gardens!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice variety of veggies you've got, that's some good eating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet! I have some beans too, that I want to pull just because they look so sad in the garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those carrots look delicious. I have carrots in the garden still, but they will get picked slowly over the next month. Then I'll have none until the fall carrots. If I get fall carrots. It is still questionable if I put them in early enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I agree with Daphne. Those carrots look amazing. I've never had success with them, so I definitely envy yours :)

    Rest of the harvest looks fabulous, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. all those maters! And it's just the start!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow those are really long carrots. What variety is it? Beautiful tomatoes! You have so many pickings and variety from your garden this week. They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you ALL!

    Malay-Kadazan girl-The shorter varieties I have are petite and sweet and sweet treat. Those are the ones that are bent at the bottom, because I planted them in a more shallow box because they were suppose to be short! The longer ones are Crunch and Munch and Nantes coreless. I did not keep track of which ones I pulled even though I did plant them separate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great harvest! Your carrots and onions look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to smile at your comment that your daughter gets all the strawberries. Reminded me of our daughter, whom we called the Berry Baby. She loved her some berries. I had Alpine strawberries planted around the house and any particularly lush berry had to be reserved for Kate. When we went camping and were walking around, she would go inter her bird dog stance, pointing into the woods. Dad would have to wade through the brambles and poison ivy to retrieve a berry she saw. Now a college senior, she is still the same. Last year while hiking in Acadia in Maine, she would disappear, only to be found off trail squatting in a patch of low-bush blueberries. Thanks for the memory jog.

    ReplyDelete