Monday, May 28, 2018

Harvest Monday May 28, 2018

It's Harvest Monday at Our Happy Acres!
I've been picking a LOT of strawberries this week. The most I have ever had! I didn't even take pics of them all cause that would be quite boring! And they are getting eaten up so quickly. We have mostly been eating them plain but I did make some biscuits one day for shortcake. That is my favorite way  to have shortcake.  I used the Gluten Free Bisquick because it is sort of sweet already and makes them good for shortcakes! I haven't found a good homemade GF recipe for biscuits yet.
Strawberries, mixed lettuces, beet greens, kale.

So many of these bowls have been filled this week. Almost every day.

My first zucchini, pickling cucumber, and snap peas of the season! Yay!
I ran my first 5K this last Saturday with my kids. They are all 3 cross country runners and 2 just finished their track season. There is a great program here called Parkrun where you can go every Saturday to run a timed 5K for free (it is in many cities worldwide). I thought it would be a good way to help them stay in running shape between track and cross country season. My younger one had to have an adult with him at all times though so I did it. This is no easy task for me (Multiple Sclerosis). So I am feeling quite proud of myself.....but today, I can barely walk. Ha ha! I hope I can continue to do it with him cause I really enjoyed it but I won't be able to keep up with his quick young energetic body for long!
My daughter, who is quite the runner, did this in 25 minutes and was 7th overall and first for her gender and age group. Her twin brother did it in 35Minutes and the young one did it in  38Minutes, he's 8 years old.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your 5K! It is so neat you were able to do it with your kids. And you can't beat the free price either. Be careful though, it can be addicting and lead to more and longer races!

    Homegrown strawberries just can't be beat. Yours must be happy and it sounds like they are keeping you well-supplied. I love to make Bisquick shortcake too, and it's a sweet treat for me in strawberry season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It is addictive in my mind but my body just doesn't always agree ;)

      Delete
  2. Great job with your run and it sounds like the kids really enjoyed it. It's so amazing how many strawberries you've been getting. And they're so pretty! It'll probably be a month before anything is harvestable size for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure the anticipation is creeping up on you! Strawberry season is the best!

      Delete
  3. What a haul of strawberries! I ripped out my old bed and planted up new last fall so was strawberry-less last year. The plants are now blooming so it won't be too much longer :) And awesome job on the run! Your kids did amazing as well - must "run" in the family ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you are just dying for some strawberries to hurry up and be ready!
      Ha ha Thanks!

      Delete
  4. A surfeit of strawberries is a nice problem to have! Well done for starting Parkrun. We have it here too and some of the family do it, but running is not possible for me due t balance issues so I walk instead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's not always easy for me either but i try occasionally!

      Delete