Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Homemade Ranch

Since starting our real food diet I have only attempted to make one dressing, an Olive Oil and vinegar dressing full of herbs from the garden. Tonight I decided to try making ranch for the first time. None of my kids have been very thrilled with the Oil and Vinegar dressing, although they do eat it. But at least two of them loved the ranch, as did the parents. The third child did not even try it, she wanted her salad plain....blah!
Went out to the garden and picked parsley, dill and green onions for the dressing.
I am not one for measuring things out, especially when I am experimenting, but this is what I came up with.
I used about 1/2-3/4 cup each of a good quality cultured sour cream and a good quality mayo (maybe I'll attempt to make my own sometime).
a small hand full of dill
 a small hand full of parsley
several cut pieces of green onion
1-2 pieces of garlic 
a dash of sea salt and pepper
and a small dash of cayenne pepper
pulsed it on low in my vitamix, I bet any good food processor will do.
Creamy ranch! Yummy! Will definitely do it again, and again, and again!

The only problem is, I just decided to do this NOW when the greens are about done for the summer! Ah, well, fall will be here soon enough. Until then, it will be a good dipper for carrots, cucumbers and whatever other yummies my kids will eat smothered in ranch!
I will warn you, this does NOT taste like Hidden Valley, it does have a different flavor, but it sure is still yummy. Fresh herbs are like that!

My three year old, that is EXTREMELY picky, I have to force feed him his vegetables, liked his ranch so much. He said, "I am so happy I like your ranch mommy! Did you grow it in the garden?" Ha ha, what a cutey pants!

2 comments:

  1. Your ranch dressing sounds yummy. I make my own ranch too but now I use a mix I make up and have on a shelf as it is so easy. The mix uses powdered buttermilk, dried parsley, dried dill weed, onion powder, salt, pepper and garlic powder. When you want to use it you combine 1 T of the mix with mayo and milk. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    This sounds like a yummy recipe. One to try.

    Yael from Home Garden Diggers

    ReplyDelete