Monday, April 22, 2013

Harvest Monday 4/22/13


I am still getting a small amount of lettuce and spinach. My lettuce types are Ashley, Red Sails, and Rougette de Montpellier.  I love the variety of red and green colors. I think the ones shown in this picture are the Rougette de Montpellier and Red Sails. The Ashley are a much darker red. This bowl I mixed in a salad that I shared at a dinner party. It was lovely! My favorite salad to make with it right now has this mixed lettuce and spinach, raw sunflower seeds, raw yogurt cheese and a home made dressing with Olive oil, a splash of Apple cider vinegar (like Braggs), a mixture of Italian herbs from the garden (oregano, basil, thyme, etc.), garlic and a bit of salt and pepper, and Shake, Shake, Shake! Super yummy!

What is your favorite salad recipe?

8 comments:

  1. Your homemade dressing is so simple yet flavorful with all the garden fresh herbs. Waiting for my greens to grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a favorite salad recipe and I am not fancy. I just use whatever greens I have plus radish, celery or whatever I have and I make my own ranch dressing from a mix. I have never heard of some of the kinds of lettuce that you mentioned. There are so many to choose from! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the contrast of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those greens are picture perfect and your salad sounds delicious. One of my favorite salads is fresh young spinach leaves, candied roasted walnut halves, crumbled goat or blue cheese, and dressing of raspberry vinegarette. The tang of the cheese, the sweet of the nuts and dressing just play off of the spinach beautifully. Another favorite around here is spinach leaves with sliced fresh ripe strawberries - topped with a drizzle of thinned blue cheese dressing. Same reasons - the flavor combo just explodes in your mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lovely salad. I need to wing myself off the bottled salad dressings and start making my own. Your dressing sounds easy and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tried to find something online, but ended up just winging it and it turned out great.

      Delete
  6. hello
    that is a lovely salad and your dressing sounds good.i use whatever i have.
    wish you a nice day,
    regina

    ReplyDelete