Monday, July 26, 2010

Harvest Monday July 26, 2010

The tomatoes are coming in daily now and the zucchini is almost gone. There is one more plant out there with an 8 ball or 2 on it. I was really hoping to show off some Habaneros today. I am seeing orange, but they are not fully orange yet. So maybe a couple of more days. The sugar pumpkins are getting pretty orange too, and it won’t be long until I can pick a couple of those. One of them though is getting SVB frass on the bottom of it and it makes me very MAD!!!! It is the biggest one too!
The harvest this week has been good. Lots more beans! 4 quarts this week.
Here we have Prudens Purple tomato, Big boy and pink girl. A Genuine American Cucumber, some basil, juliets and cherry tomatoes.
IMG_2033_1
Beans!
IMG_2034
More Beans! The first hot peppers, 5 Jalapenos!  The first onions I have picked! Bunching onions to the top, and yellow onions to the bottom. The yellow onions are small, they were pretty packed in there. I am hoping now that I have picked some they will grow some more!
IMG_2035_1
Last Black beauty of the season! A few more carrots, beans and Juliet and cherry tomatoes.
IMG_2037_1
Ha, more beans! Some nice tomatoes too!IMG_2055_1
Did I mention we are getting beans around here? So glad I planted so many more this year. I am happy to get to freeze some of them for later use! Some of them have been used for baby food too. I also found a fallen pepper, and I think that it may be a Habanero but I am not positive. Guess I will find out when I cut it open and see if there is any burn to it!
IMG_2057
I did make my first big bowl of salsa this week, and I think half is gone already! DH really likes it, plus I think he took some to work to share. I was really proud that the only store bought ingredients this year was cilantro and garlic. My cilantro wasn’t ready yet. But next year, just maybe I will be able to make the entire recipe completely from my own garden! I am hoping to start Garlic in October! According to the Oldham Co Coop Ext, should be ready for KY next August! Wow that is a long time!
Harvest Totals 2010
Lemon Cucumber 4 ea
American Genuine Cucumber 7 ea
Oregano 1 baggie dried
Spicy Bush and Reg Basil 6 baggies dried
Sebring Zucchini 5 ea
8 Ball zucchini 14 ea
Black Beauty Zucchini 21 ea
Bush Beans 21 quarts
Lettuce (mixed pckg) 2-4 lbs
Bright Lights Chard 8 Bunches
Cabbage (mixed pckg) 4 ea
Evergreen Bunching Onion 10 plus a few cuttings
Broccoli 4 heads
Juliet Hybrid Grape Tomato 149 ea
Red Cherry Tomato 77 ea
German Johnson Tomato 3 ea
Pink Girl Tomato 23 ea
Prudens Purple 2 ea
Rutgers Tomato 2 ea
Strawberries 2 ea
Cosmic Purple Carrot 4 ea
Sweet treat hybrid/Petite ‘n Sweet carrots 20 ea
Jalapeno Pepper 5 ea
Purple Beauty Bell Pepper 1 ea
Habanero Pepper 1 ea (?)
Lincoln and Alaskan Peas 2 cups 1/4 cup
In other gardening news. I plan to do some more planting this week to fill up those empty squares where the zucchini was. I have also moved a couple things around that weren’t doing well in their current spot, like Acorn Squash and a couple of pitiful pepper plants. Hopefully they will perk up and start doing something for us! The butternut squash plant is growing well, but nothing seems to be pollinated, so I made sure to hand pollinate one I noticed was open this morning! Yay! I hope I get one soon!  And, once the Habaneros start coming, I am afraid we are going to have Habaneros coming out of our ears! There are a bunch!
Happy Harvesting!
And thanks to Daphne for hosing Harvest Monday! 

6 comments:

  1. Cool! Things are really producing in your garden now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice harvest. I always hope to get a recipe all from my garden too. It is so much fun. Today was cucumber salad with garden cukes, onions and dill. Yum. I'm sure I'll get tired of it by the end of the summer, but this was the first of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The contrast between your green and purple beans is really pretty. I will have to hunt down some purple bean seeds for next year. Are they just as tasty as the green beans? The rest of your harvest is just so bountiful, it makes me sigh thinking about my own... I also caught a glimpse of your baby with the giant zucchini in your streaming picture slide show up top and it make me laugh again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks EG and Daphne!

    thyme2garden-I think the Royal Burgundy beans are just as good! They don't stay purple when you cook them though. Sigh. I have started some yellow ones to add to the mix. Hopefully I am still getting green and purple ones when the yellow ones come along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely collection of harvest photos and vegetables. We don't have any habeneros yet either, or at least I don't think so though the Fatali is close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beans and tomatoes! What an awesome thing to have. Nice harvest, and good totals for the year!
    ~~Lori

    ReplyDelete