Friday, July 17, 2009

Attracting bees....

We seriously need some pollination going on in the garden!! So I picked out 2 flowering plants at the grocery that looked like they were attracting the most bees! The pink one is Monarda 'Pink Lace' Bergamot. The tall one is Liatris spicata 'Blazing Star'. Hopefully these will help attract some more bees to my garden so I can have more harvest!!!
I do have 3 watermelon. The vines are so intertwined I can't tell which are icebox and which are Farmers Wonderful!




My cat faced Prudens purple is getting very big, but not red!
My first bells! Kaleidoscope.

This Beef Steak tomato plant is just so huge, almost all of that is one tomato plant! I have never had a tomato plant that big. I don't know if this is normal for beef steak, since I think this is the first time I have grown this variety. And you can't see it but it does have a cage!!! The visible cage is to a much smaller and compact tomato plant.

First baby serrano!!!! And there are more blooms too!

First Honey Bear Acorn Squash!

Broccoli doing OK despite the stinkin loopers! Can't say the same for the cabbage. Cauli is ok, but no head yet. I did try a home remedy from a poster on GW, the flour and Cayenne pepper, it does seem to be helping, even after rain. I did put out some more thought! We'll see how it does!

****Sad face****
Powdery mildew seems to be hitting many of my squash plants. Need to try a remedy on them too!

My first orange cosmo beginning to bloom! These were a freebie in the mail and a year old seeds! But I have a bunch and they sure are healthy looking!

1 comment:

  1. That is my favorite cat faced tomato I've ever seen in my life. It's fantastic!

    Your watermelons are looking great! My squash has powdery mildew as well. It's such a bummer.

    ReplyDelete