Monday, June 25, 2018

The week of Beans-Harvest Monday 6/25/18

I'm picking beans every day now. I have had 2 full gallon size zipper bags full already!
 Join the conversation (below and at Our Happy Acres) and share your harvests!

I'm still getting cucumbers every day as well. I have had to pawn them off on neighbors and come up with more creative ideas to use them.
 Below are the last of the shelling peas. I pulled both the shelling and the snap peas this week. Too hot and they weren't producing well.
  Lots of raspberries and blueberries are coming in. Gonna have to bribe the kids to help me pick them all. (They are not big helpers, I may need to seek neighbor kids who enjoy it cause they don't have gardens!)
 How do you like my swan cucumber? :) What does it look like to you?

 Trying something different with the cucumbers. Cucumber and cream cheese tea sandwiches. Both the older two loved them, the younger would not even try! I picked some fresh dill for the filling. It was all a bit bland to me so yesterday I cut some green onions to add to it. I haven't tried it just yet so we will see. Next on the list to try is a Cashew Tuna Salad Cucumber bites recipe I found on pinterest!


 Scallions and zucchini were used for taco zucchini boats. The rest of the scallions were used in the cucumber filling above. This was the first tomato. Amazingly it wasn't a cherry size tomato, it was a Cherokee purple. Sadly it had a little bit of end rot, but I used the rest on the taco zucchini boats.
 Beans, beans, more beans! I tried to get my daughter to help as she ate them raw strait out of the garden, but she sat there and barely picked a handful. She couldn't even find any of the green ones!
 Pollinator photos! Just because I love them and love practicing taking photos!
My garden is just full of all kinds of fun flyers. And then some not so fun (Japanese Beetles-grrrrrr) They meet their soapy water demise!



 I had to go after a couple of wasps as they chased the humming birds right out of the garden! 😡They seem to be happily enjoying their nectar and hummingbird sage now!

In Running news, I ran with my Daughter and younger son on Saturday at the Louisville Parkrun. My other son was sick. But my 8 year old and I both beat our own times! This was the third week in a row for me! Yay! And I didn't feel quite as bad as I have been the past several Saturdays. With my MS, the runs and the heat really take it out of me. I'm hoping my body will continue to adjust and I won't throw myself into a relapse.
I gave my 8 year old an incentive to beat his time by 5 minutes ( I had a buy one get one free nintendo game hidden away). He beat his time by 7 minutes and 20 seconds! I knew he could he is just never motivated! Plus one of his XC coaches showed up to be a coarse monitor and cheered us on! That was so great of her!
I hope you're having an amazing Gardening week! 
 Please feel free to leave a comment! I love to hear from you!

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful harvests. I'm amazed that you're only half a zone higher than us, yet you have so much "summer" produce. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I always felt that way about my moms harvests when she was in
      Tennessee, only a few hours away yet so far ahead.

      Delete
  2. I love your pollinator photos - so gorgeous! Ah....the bean avalanche. I've been there and it took a few years to figure out how much was too much based on what we ate/needed for freezing. It sometimes takes me a while to figure out that just because I can grow that much, doesn't mean I SHOULD grow that much! Ditto with cucumbers. I'm down to only 7 plants (4 different varieties) which provides plenty for fresh eating and pickles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have three preteens so I don’t think we’ll have any problem using up these beans! 😂 Cucumbers though, it is always hit or miss it’s seems, some years I have an abundance and some years it’s a bust.

      Delete
  3. loads of veg ready at the moment. I too have a lot of cucumbers and there are only so many things you can do with them. I have started to add them to yogurt and mint to eat with curries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many beautiful cucumbers, berries, and snap beans. We're just coming into the cucumbers and beans ourselves, so exciting. The tuna salad with cucumbers and cashews sounds wonderful. I usually start making stuffed cucumbers and zucchini when they really get going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll let ya know how it is once I’ve tried it! ☺️

      Delete
  5. I am really impressed by your running times and well done for sticking at it like that! And fancy having humming birds in the garden, that is so wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cucumber sandwiches sound cool and refreshing, just the thing for a hot day! And picking beans has to be one of the more labor intensive jobs in the garden, though berries might compete. Congrats on your run! We've had to walk early in the mornings here to beat the heat and humidity.

    ReplyDelete