Monday, July 22, 2013

Harvest Monday 7/22/13

It's Harvest Monday at Daphne's Dandelions! It has been a good harvest week around here.
The first Great White tomato of the season. A nice sized tomato but not the biggest one so far.

Yay for tomatoes! AND a PUMPKIN! WOO HOO!

Picked a bunch of blue potatoes for dinner.

I shredded the above blue potatoes and pressed them into this pie dish to use for a Zucchini Quiche. I baked it before I put the ingredients in. It was super yummy, especially topped with a slice of tomato and a bit of Feta cheese. Mmmm, yummy! I had extra shredded potatoes so I also made some potato cakes which my daughter just LOVED. She scarfed them down.

Picked most of the Music Garlic. There are 2 out there that I noticed I missed. I will definitely be ordering some more garlic this year. When I picked the garlic last year, I thought I will never use all this garlic so I didn't plant as much in the fall. Little did I know I used every bit of it. So, I guess I will use all that garlic!

2 Matt's Wild Cherry and one White Currant.


These poor guys were all sort of casualties. The first ripe pepper I had of these were so low on the plant that it rotted in the dirt by the time it turned red. So, since all these were in the dirt I picked them before they went bad as well. I also had to trim a branch off of the Japanese Black Trifile tomato because it was dying so I snagged the tomatoes. Hopefully they will turn all right, 2 seem to be already.

A first in my garden...the Chinese Red Noodle Beans. Don't know what I am going to do with them yet but I am excited to use them. And a nice big pile of both bush and pole beans.

And oh boy! This is a big 'Great White' tomato! There was another in a pic above that was about 1 lb. This is the 3rd one.

My pitiful Ruby Queen corn. I let it grow too long since it was so small. It taste sweeter before it gets this dark red. It will be good in a casserole or something I guess.
Happy Harvesting!

20 comments:

  1. What a huge and varied harvest this week! And using the shredded potatoes as the pie crust for a zucchini quiche is a great idea (and it looks tasty!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW WOW WOW! That is one fantastic harvest you have there! Huge tomatoes, peppers, beautiful beans, squash and potatoes look all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Everything is going gangbusters in your garden this week! Amazing harvests and everything looks so good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic harvest this week. The Great White's are intriguing. How is the flavor? I planted Matt's WC last year after seeing your results. This year, someone in town grew some starts and was giving them away, so we have a couple of gardeners in the community growing MWC. They are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite good. It can get mushy kind of fast as it seems to go with most the bigger ones. I usually don't like yellowish tomatoes but I do like this one.

      Delete
  5. Very nice harvests! I love the idea with the shredded potatoes as a crust. I will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats with the pumpkin, we just picked 3 last week and they are hands down some of the happiest harvesting moments of the year! Will continue to follow your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a huge and wonderful harvest you got this past week!! I have never seen a white tomato and a pumpkin already! It was interesting to hear what you did with your shredded blue potatoes and I will be looking forward to see what you do with the Chinese red noodle beans! Congratulations to Matt on having a little harvest too! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, that is actually the name of the tomato, "Matt's Wild Cherry". ;) I was a bit confused there for a second. :D

      Delete
  8. Holy moly, you have quite a harvest this week! I grow Matt's Wild Cherry too, but none of my tomatoes are ready for harvest yet. And I also planted Chinese noodle beans, but they aren't even blossoming yet. Great variety! How do white tomatoes taste? Any difference from the red ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is quite good. I usually don't like the yellow varieties, but I do like this one.

      Delete
  9. Holy wow! That Great White Tomato O_O!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful harvest week. It looks like you are really in the "thick" of your summer garden. Lots of work to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A white tomato, blue potatoes, and a pumpkin.. oh my! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the idea of using shredded potato as a pie crust. I stir-fry my red noodles (cut them into shorter lengths) with minced garlic and ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a nice variety of harvests, Shawn Ann, really impressive! And I'm going to copy that shredded potato crust idea, 'cos it's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What a great haul this week. So much variety. Love the idea of shredded potatoes as a quiche crust.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You really had an amazing haul of veggies this week! Lots of good eating there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a seriously big white tomato you got there! I love the idea of grated squash as a crust for quiche. I'll have to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice harvest as usual, I like your idea of veggie crusted quiche, gotta try it when (if) I get some homegrown taters :)

    ReplyDelete