Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Seedlings and more seeds

I think I am going to run out of room. I have bought more seeds, and I still hope to find a few more. I am going to do some rearranging this year to make room. There might be vegetable plants in the middle of my flower beds as well. My first big rearrangement will be the flower bed in front of my deck.
I plan to take out all the lilies and move them and dig out several inches of soil to amend and plant blueberry bushes there with the azaleas. They should be happy together. I may also put a cranberry bush on the right corner. I definitely do not want to get rid of the beautiful lilies though. I love them! They are so bright and red! I haven't decided where I am going to put them though.

My seedling seem to be doing well. The peas are getting big enough to go out, but it has been pretty cold here lately and I don't think they can handle it. But a warm up is coming so I might get them out soon and use a little cover to protect them as needed.
 Some of the peas are nice an tall, so I don't know if it is legginess or not, because another batch is really short and stocky, hidden behind the leggy basil that has had a serious lack of light most the winter. But I do have another light in here now, and hope it helps. Hey, at least they are still alive!
I bought some more seeds here recently. I got some yellow onions and planted them right away. They are just starting to pop out.
Some others that are added to the list of newbies:
Dragon Tongue Bean
Taylor's Dwarf Horticultural bush dry bean
white wonder cucumber
Ruby Queen Sweet corn
Spanish gold onion
borage
Cherokee purple tomato
icicle radish

Where to plant, where to plant... Been working on some garden plans, but it is really hard to get a good idea how everything will go without getting out there. And it has been so darn cold and snowy lately! But hey, at least there is a little spring in my indoor greenhouse!

3 comments:

  1. This is an exciting time of the year...planning planning and planning.!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you are doing a great job with your seedlings and spring planting!

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have all the room you need for more plants and flowers! ^___^ Your deck would look even better if you repaint it, perhaps with color blue or yellow. Found this on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pin/237846424040683073/. You may like the idea of a blue deck.

    Cristen Eacret

    ReplyDelete