Monday, September 13, 2010

Harvest Monday Sept 13, 2010

It's harvest Monday at Daphne's Dandelions! A great place to share your harvest and see others!

This week I pulled all the green onions. I should have pulled them a while ago, but I just didn't have any use for them. I planted way more than I needed! By the time I pulled them, onion maggots had gotten to quite a few of them. This is probably only about half of them. I also hacked the Oregano and Basil! I plan to dig up the Oregano and relocate it after splitting it with my friend who just got a new house! I'm excited for her to start her first garden! I am saving all kinds of seeds for her (and myself) to help her get started!




 The Orange Sun Bells are beautiful, they will be a definite for next year!  I only have one plant and have gotten 3 off of it so far and there are three or four more still out there soon to be ripe! And they are a nice bright color! I might try planting seedlings sooner though.
 

After picking todays harvest, I decided to use this weeks bean harvest to make some baby food for Eli and the neighbor's baby. All together there was probably about 2 quarts.  She is finding canned store food isn't so good, but she is enjoying some homemade stuff. So I thought I would share my harvest in baby food! Besides, I have plenty of beans! The whole bottom drawer of the freezer is full!

Harvest Totals 2010
VarietyThis Weeks TotalSeason Total
Lemon Cucumber
23 ea(season total)
American Genuine Cucumber
11 ea (season total)
Oregano6 bags7 baggie dried + 1 quart
Spicy Bush and Reg Basil2 bags 9 baggies dried +3qt
Sebring Zucchini5 ea(season total)
8 Ball zucchini17 ea(season total)
Black Beauty Zucchini21 ea(season total)
Bush Beans2qt30 quarts
Lettuce (mixed pckg)2-4 lbs
Bright Lights Chard8 Bunches
Cabbage (mixed pckg)4 ea(season total)
Evergreen Bunching Onion5790 (season total)
Yellow Onion
74 ea (total for season)
Broccoli4 heads (season total)
Juliet Hybrid Grape Tomato14563 ea
Red Cherry Tomato
244ea(season total)
Total Tomatoes8153 ea
Watermelons
2 ea (season total)
Kaleidescope Pepper3 ea
Orange Sun Bell Pepper23 ea
Strawberries2 ea
Cosmic Purple Carrot4 ea (season total)
Sweet treat hybrid/Petite ‘n Sweet carrots
74 ea
Jalapeno Pepper5 ea
Purple Beauty Bell Pepper1 ea
Habanero Pepper662 ea
Serrano Pepper544
Lincoln and Alaskan Peas2 cups 1/4 cup
Ambrosia Melon3
Harvest Princess Pumpkin1
Small Sugar Pumpkin
6 ea (season total)
Cilantro
2 sprigs

5 comments:

  1. Yet again, I'm in awe. You're Super Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awe! Your a mom of little ones and do all this and have a job outside the home! Your just as Super!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those onions maggots are really dreadful, aren't they? They got to a few of my onions and green onions earlier this year, too, which encouraged me to pull out most of my onions.

    I'm glad to hear that you're doing something productive with your oregano and even sharing it with your friend. My oregano that went in the ground in August 2009 grew and spread so much this year that they practically took over the whole herb garden. It was a tangly mess, and became a haven for all kinds of creepy crawlies and egg laying bugs. I even found a giant frog/toad living under the oregano canopy! I finally ended up pulling them all out (more like digging them out with all my strength) a few weeks ago. I tried to save a few clumps to repot into containers, but I don't know if they are going to survive. I will never grow oregano in the ground again!

    Okay, that's enough of my oregano rant.

    I agree with Ribbit, I also think you're a super mom for growing a beautiful garden and making healthy baby food from garden produce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thyme2garden-Wow, I have heard that some herbs can grow out of control...but you know, that frog or toad in the garden is a good thing! They eat bugs you know! I keep it pretty well trimmed but it is starting to grow out of it's space in the square foot it was allotted! I think I'll put it in a flower bed. We'll see what happens. Send me your frog!I'll put him to work!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Sun Bells are just beautiful. I loved colored peppers.

    ReplyDelete