Saturday, May 1, 2010

Soy free and Dairy free Birthday cake…

This is my first cake I have ever made like this, and boy was it hard work! I started out with this mix I found at Meijers. Yes, from a box. There’s just too much to do!  It doesn’t have any dairy or soy in it and the recipe calls for butter and I just used Earth’s Balance dairy/soy free spread. I made one last week just to test it and it tasted great. Hope this one does too.

So, my twins birthday is tomorrow, and we decided to buy the princess cake but I just had to have at least one cake that I could eat from so I made the McQueen cake. My friend came over to help me get it started and make sure I knew what I was doing…she has taken a cake decorating class! Thank goodness, cause I might have been totally lost!

IMG_1145

It was quite a mess. IMG_1146

And since making the icing myself so that it was dairy/soy free, I think I made it too thick and it was very hard piping this on! I thought I would never finish!  The veins were popping out of my arms…IMG_1147_1

It didn’t turn out perfect, but it is good enough for me, and I am sure my little birthday boy will love it! IMG_1148_1 For my Butter Cream icing, I started out with 5 1/4 cups of powdered sugar,1/2 cup Earths Balance dairy/soy free,  3 tbs of rice milk, and 2 tsp of vanilla. I have used coconut  milk before as well and it is quite good too!

Well the birthday party is tomorrow, and it is suppose to rain all day. Boo! We were going to have it outside, but I guess we will have to move it in unless it clears up in time for our party. But it may still be too wet! We did all our garden work in order to have it looking nice before the party and rain! We would have done it anyways, but we may not of worked ourselves so hard in such a short time!  But it looks so nice, I want to show it off!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! It looks great! I bet your arms hurt today...
    I love the piped-on look of these cakes, but would have NO patience for them--especially knowing they'd be destroyed by munching mouthes!

    ReplyDelete