Monday, June 24, 2013

Harvest Monday 6/24/13

It's Harvest Monday at Daphne's Dandelions!  The garden is picking up in variety and I am beginning to get busier.
Lungo Bianco Squash, Eight Ball Squash, Ashley lettuce, Red Sails lettuce, Cilantro, Chard, Strawberries, Blauwschokker Peas.


Stuff for ranch dressing and dill pickles with a few extras.

Some split carrots did not go to waste, I shredded them in salad. The white carrot came in a rainbow mix of carrots, it was very woody and not edible. Maybe I need to let it grow longer or change its growing conditions but this one is not good. Hope there are not too many but it seems like their are. Yep, I've peeked.

Basil!


Pink and purple potatoes for dinner was so yummy roasted with salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and coconut oil! Mmmm!

I tried my hand at fermented dill pickles. I didn't cover them well enough though because I got a tiny bit of mold on top. Ah, I still tried them, they are good. I will do it again and be sure to cover completely! See the bubbles at the top? A sure sign that the good bacteria are at work! Probiotics! I am gonna try fermented salsa this summer too as soon as those tomatoes start ripening up!

Raspberries! Yay! The best part of the garden! Well, the strawberries are pretty close but I don't get no where near as many! I also picked a few beet leaves to add to salads. I am about to have to start buying salad at the store again until fall.

8 comments:

  1. Good for you doing the fermented pickles. I have never managed to get them to come out right and have given up trying. In fact, I largely just do refrigerator dills now - as we love them and it is so easy. Your garden is definitely ramping up production this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, I'm hoping to try some fermented pickles this year too. It all depends on how many I have to harvest this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Lungo Bianco Squash is gorgeous! I'm guessing it's an heirloom??? Where did you get the seeds from? I'd love to try my hand at it next summer :-) I'm growing an white heirloom cucumber this year and can't wait to see how they do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The purple potatoes are cool, aren't they? Do you also get purple flowers with them? I do from mine. The white squash is very interesting, haven't seen one before. Nice harvests, Shawn Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an assortment of harvests this week! They all look delicious.. especially those raspberries and that really fat blueberry. I've never attempted fermenting pickles, perhaps I should try it. I had a carrot mix with a white variety a couple of years ago, and they never had a very good taste and tended to get really tough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your different squash. I have started growing only Tromboncino. The SVB's are just too bad in my area for summer squash. I do like the look of them, though. Beautiful harvests.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice variety you are not getting for your veggies. Helps your grocery bill go down I bet! Nice idea to shred the split carrots for salad. You make such good use of all your produce! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOPs. That is suppose to be now -- not not! LOL Nancy

    ReplyDelete