Friday, April 8, 2011

Kentucky Gardening Resources

As I am preparing for the new gardening season, making charts, planting seeds, and more, I have been putting some of my favorite resources to work. One of my favorites is the Kentucky Gardener magazine, I love the "how to's" and the reminders of what do and when for specific plants. I often stock up on ones the library throws out after it gets a new supply in! Gardening tips are rarely outdated! And, I just got a subscription as a gift, and I couldn't be more excited! Especially since you can only check out the previous month's edition at the library, it doesn't help too much now when you are reading Marches edition in April! Still, I am glad my library carries it, or I would not have known what a wonderful resource it is.
Another invaluable resource to me has been the UK Cooperative Extension Service and the publication that they put out, "Home Vegetable Gardening in Kentucky."(Louisville) It has everything from how to start your beds to dates and charts to insects and diseases that often do their damage in Kentucky! I have the book folded open to the seed starting charts at this time! I have noticed them offered all kinds of places, including the Y.  There is also another publication that is put out around Lexington, "Home Vegetable Gardening in Kentucky."(Lexington)
And of course the University of Kentucky Insect Files has helped in identifying the good, the bad, and the ugly of our area.
My friend has also let me know about a group called 15Thousand Farmers, I have checked out their website and signed up, but have yet to visit one of their meetings. But it looks like a great program that gets lots of local businesses involved and offering discounts on gardening supplies! I don't know about you but I could always use a discount.  They also have workshops, seed trading and all kinds of help and information for growing your own food.
I could list several more invaluable resources that I like to use, but this is all about Kentucky! If you know of good Kentucky resources, I'd love you to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment