Monday, May 16, 2011

Harvest Monday and May garden updates

This week I have Peas and Spinach! Don't forget to visit Daphne's Dandelions for more gardener's harvests! 
These snap peas never even made it into the fridge. The kids saw them and wanted one, and one turned into all! It's a wonderful thing! I often have friends and even strangers ask me how I get my kids to eat veggies so well, and I always say that growing a garden is the BEST thing, other than just putting things in front of them over and over again! I actually have gotten a couple of friends interested enough to start their own gardens and it is so fun! 
These were harvested on Saturday. 1 1/8 oz.
3 3/8 oz of spinach, 3/4 of an oz of peas (some may be on the small side), and 3 3/8 oz of super sugar snap peas. 

Bed 1, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, pak choi, kale and a bolting cilantro (I cut off the rest for use!), and lettuce. I put the pop up green house with a shade cloth over this bed to keep the cabbage moth out and the shade cloth to try to keep it cooler since they are a bit behind! But I'm still gonna try!

Bed 3. My peas, spinach, chard, onions and garlic. I picked most of the spinach out today. I didn't have as much as I had hoped for. Plant more in the fall! Peas are doing well though. There are a bunch on there filling out!

Bed 2. Carrots, kale, lettuce, pak choi, chard, onions.

Bed 5. Lots a radishes that probably need to be thinned so they don't crowd out my parsnips!

Potato tub. I have 2 of these to try out! This is my first time growing potatoes so I hope this goes well! They look great so far!

We tilled the section along the fence where I am going to crowd in some corn, beans and squash (three sisters!) It has been raining though and I haven't been able to get it planted yet! I also hope it does not get washed away because this is an area that can pool if it rains too hard. Maybe I'll dig a trench!

Bed 7 and 8, the new beds. I tried to cover as many tomatoes as I could with some milk jugs. It has been a very cool couple of days,  and I just got them planted. Bed 8 is also filled with onions and lettuce, and a few carrots. Bed 7 has onions, carrots, and tomatoes.
 My husband is thinking I am getting in way over my head with the garden! Only time will tell! But I am excited about all the new things in this season's garden!
Happy Harvesting!

5 comments:

  1. Over your head with gardening? Tell that man to bite his tongue ;-)

    Everything looks good, soon the garden will be in full production mode. If we ever get some warm weather, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Granny, I don't think you're over your head yet! Looks like everything is getting off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had your peas right now. Yum. I can't wait until mine are ready, but I have weeks yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Granny we have been going between cool and hot with not much in between for weeks now! I'm sure it confuses the plants!

    As for being over my head, I have to admit, I do tend to ignore the inside in favor of working outside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it looks great. Nothing better than the freshest veggies around. :-) Not over your head at all.

    ReplyDelete