Monday, July 2, 2018

A Colorful Harvest 7/2/18

I can't believe it is July! It was a very humid day yesterday with a heat index of 104. Needless to say I waited until the sun was all the way out of the garden before I went out to harvest and I was still drippy! 
It is Harvest Monday over at Our Happy Acres. Join the conversation and share your harvests!

Last week I had a nice 4 lbs of beans trimmed and ready for blanching. This week is shaping up to be similar. I should have a good amount for freezing, and I am happy with that!
 Picked the first harvest of carrots. This is a kaleidoscope mix. We had them roasted for dinner that very night! I love the colors! So bright and beautiful!
 I love the colors of the potatoes as well! I was so happy to find most of these so close to the surface. I could probably dig for more. This was only one small section at the soils surface.
 The first White Currant tomatoes. They are really small, about the size of a Matt's Wild cherry. The full size tomato is suppose to be a Monster Pink. This one is pretty average in size, we'll see what the rest of the season yields from this plant. My daughter ate ALL the tomatoes!
 The zucchini are not producing well. I have pulled one plant of 2 already. Mildew was effecting it quite a bit. No sign of the dreaded squash vine borer, so that is good. I planted new seeds, so maybe a later harvest is in store! I've really been enjoying trying new kinds of Zucchini Boat recipes.

The small tomato in the middle of that pile is the surprise tomato. I don't know what it is. Some sort of red cherry size tomato about an inch in size. So, I thought I was planting a giant variety and I got a tiny variety! 😳 And I guess I missed this pickling cucumber...it has gotten quite large. 😐

 My wildlife sightings that I have enjoyed this week.

A kind of bluebird. If you know what it is please share.
 I've spotted the monarch twice and I am so happy. This is the first year I have attracted the monarch to my garden!
Here he is on a wild onion I let bloom.
 Monarch in the orange cosmos
 This tiny little toad is not much bigger than the sidewalk pebbles. Very hard to see and blends in to the mulch. The last time I had a toad in the garden he always hid in the straw and I never could see him. I accidentally broke his leg but he stayed in my garden all season with a broken leg that never healed. I hope this one does not get under my feet and I am glad he is here!

If you're interested, my garden is now on Instagram

I hope you are having a great week in the garden! And I really enjoy your comments! Thanks for visiting my garden!

4 comments:

  1. You've got a beautiful mix of goodies coming from your garden! The carrots are really lovely. I never have much luck growing them here. I am having mildew issues with my squash too, something I rarely see. I am blaming the rain!

    I think your bluebird is an Indigo Bunting. We see them here sometimes. They are a small bird, about the size of a Goldfinch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s what I thought from looking at pics online but wanted someone to confirm! ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, you're potatoes and carrots have done so well. And I love seeing your mountains of cucumbers and snap beans. Were your red and yellow potatoes near the surface or were they deeper in the soil compared to the blue potatoes? Just wondering because I can find blue potatoes near the surface but not any of the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of these were near the surface. I need to check another bed today because I noticed some poking out!

      Delete