Monday, June 11, 2018

Good morning. It's rainy and 67 here in KY this morning. I'm so glad, the garden needed it.
It's Harvest Monday at Our Happy Acres. Join in and share your harvests with us!

Picked my first potatoes! I saw one poking out of the ground last week while watering so decided to check for some.

I used some of the potatoes and greens fresh from the garden for my favorite breakfast! ;)

I finished pulling out most of the lettuce and spinach. It was beginning to change flavor.

Pruning back the basil again to get it bushier.

Dill, cucumbers, snap peas, shelling peas on right, strawberries, first blueberries and first raspberries of the season.
 We found this tiny baby box turtle on our running path on Saturday. My older two did excellent, both of them beating their best 5K time (not their best mile pace, but their school meets are much shorter distances). Twelve year old daughter did it in 23.53 coming in 2nd out of 30, 12 year old son did it in 25:31 coming in 6th. My youngest, 8, and I came in last with 39:05 and 39:48. I beat my best but he came close. I'm probably holding him back but he has to stay with an adult :(


The caterpillar we had last week has gone into it's cocoon. Can't wait to see what kind of swallowtail emerges! We do this every year, probably multiple times. It's so fun with the kids. They feed it and take care of it and then we release it when it emerges as a butterfly. One year we found the egg and took care of it from egg to butterfly and kept track of its stages and days it took from egg to butterfly! So fun!

Peas are still happy, for now. I love the contrast of the purple peas. It is so darn hard to find all the green ones, they just blend in!

The sweet potato bed has cosmos in the middle of it. I figured they'd get tall enough that the sweet potatoes wouldn't shade them out. Looks pretty nice.

Red Nasturtium and some powdery mildew on my zucchini :(

These snacking peppers are good size, maybe they will start to change colors soon!

Borage after the rain.

The beans are coming! :)

6 comments:

  1. You have so many wonderful things in your garden. I love it when I find Swallowtail caterpillars in my garden but I just leave them out there and hope the best for them. How cool to find turtles! Lots of lizards here, but no turtles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure have lots going on in the garden, and it's giving you a variety of goodies! Those potatoes look lovely, and I bet they were delicious too. There's nothing quite like fresh potatoes. And the caterpillar project is so neat to do with the kids. Your 12 year olds are fast - they would have blown by me when I was running a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got cucumbers already! And your beans are sure on their way. Whoa, and your peppers are a good size on your plants.

    I think it's been too hot for our potatoes to make spuds and peppers to set. But I did manage to pollinate three melons so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have had quite a bit of cucumbers. Everything really is much farther ahead from last year. I don’t know if it’s the heat or the bio tea or both....
      I dint plant any melons this year. Just no room 😩 I hope you get a bunch!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful range of harvests this week.. so colourful too! We also keep and raise caterpillars: did this as a child, did it with our children and now with the grandchildren. They just love the wonder of it.. so do I! It never fades, does it?

    ReplyDelete