Monday, March 4, 2013

Tiny harvest and garden preparation

I have a tiny little lettuce and spinach harvest I picked last night for dinner. I probably could get more spinach but I didn't really need it yet. The lettuce though is quite pitiful, not liking the cold temps even under the frost blanket.
 Under the blanket below is the lettuce, spinach and one Pak Choi all moved out of the pop up and into one of the new beds! These were all planted in the fall and have barely survived the winter, but they will be great when they get growing good.
New beds all done! Well, except one is still waiting on soil, maybe this weekend. The L shaped one has garlic planted in it, which cannot be seen from this distance. The smaller older bed with stakes around it holding up the bird netting has the raspberries. I am excited to get started.
 I will have new ground beds too that I will post as soon as I have them all prepared. Dh is going to have to move a bush for me for one of them.

The windowsills are full of seedlings. A little leggy, I know, but they will quickly go out to the pop up green house on the patio. This week maybe. My house just doesn't get good light.



Sweet potato slips. I will be pulling these off this week and rooting the slips.

My unhappy onions that were moved to the popup last week. Hopefully they will revive themselves. They need to be planed to the garden soon.

on the top I am germination all my tomato and pepper varieties. On the bottom, the potatoes are sprouting. Will be planting those soon too. Maybe when it warms up later this week. I need to cut the bigger ones and allow them to callous first though. My varieties this year are All blue, Red La Soda, and some blue and red fingerlings. OH BOY!
I have a tiny harvest right now, but all of this garden prep shows great promise for the summer! Join in at Daphne's Dandelions to check out beautiful harvests around the world...you know some places are having great summer harvests right now, right?

9 comments:

  1. A harvest is a harvest even if tiny. What variety of sweet potato are you rooting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I am thankful to have my own! These are Beauregard's from my garden last year. I will also be planting All Purple sweet potatoes when they arrive. I ordered them over the winter.

      Delete
  2. Now I feel inspired for spring projects. We want to build a raised bed garden for veggies and herbs and we are also building a small backyard deck for entertaining this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to have a nice deck for entertaining! My dh just rebuilt ours last spring!

      Delete
  3. LOL it looks like those seedlings are looking out at the garden, wanting to be out there! Congrats on having a harvest at all. It's rough this time of year. Your new beds look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it looks like your garden space is growing by leaps and bounds! And you have plenty started to fill it up too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your winter greens that "barely survived" the winter are better than my winter greens that dies back completely :-) Not sure what happened, but our hoop house just did not work this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait until I start getting some tiny harvests. I miss the fresh greens.

    ReplyDelete