Thursday, June 2, 2016

It's been a while

It has been 2 years since I have updated my blog. There is a good reason for my absence that I will share. I have not been absent from my garden but I just couldn't keep up with both garden and blog. I still can't but maybe I can occasionally update.

At the end of 2014 my journey with MS (multiple sclerosis) began. It has made me exhausted and unable to keep up with both blogging and garden upkeep. I love my garden so much. I haven't let it go. I have reduced it a tiny bit, but not too much. I refuse to give up something I love so much and makes me feel so accomplished, as well as joy.

This year, we decided to sell our 2 story house and build a one story ranch style home to help me out. Right now we are in temporary housing as we build. So, in the meantime I have a garden at my church that I am encouraging others to be involved in and share in the bounty. It is nine 3 foot by 25 foot rows. I transplanted some of my perennials there in order to save and take with me. My husband is SOOO much help! He does so much heavy lifting and work for me. He must love me :) 
I am truly thankful for him!

DH has tilled, and composted and built things and more!

Earlier in the season.
 We have peas, lettuce, chard, spinach, kale, beets, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, potatoes, beans, sweet potatoes, corn, squash, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, asparagus, and more! Oh my!
It is really taking off now!
 
My kids scavenging for berries!

I put so much work into the church garden so late, I am taking the opportunity to get planning my new garden for next year in the new house so I am not so behind, as I feel I am this year! I needed to plan an arrangement and I hope this is going to work! I may need to do some tweaking but hopefully I have the room for what I want to do! The yard will be smaller since the house will be more spread out being one story.

The ten boxes around the outside will be 3x6 cedar beds and the inside beds will be brick. We plan to have them lay sod except for around a 26x29 foot area where I plan to mulch it thick and then build beds on top and have them ready by late winter!
my kids playing in the 'basement' ha ha!
Well, I hope everyone is having a wonderful start to the summer gardening season! 
Happy Gardening! 
I'll try to update on occasion.

6 comments:

  1. It is nice to see you pop up in my feed. I am sorry about the MS. My mother has MS as well. She has good days and bad days and has learned to go with the flow. She gardens on her front porch and grows an amazing amount of flowers, vegetables, and herbs in containers. There are several "sitting areas" where she can rest when she needs to. It looks like you are off to an amazing gardening season and will have a productive plot at your new home. ~ Rachel (Formerly GrafixMuse's Garden Spot now Grow a Good Life)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! Good to know some old garden friends are still out there! 😊

      Delete
  2. Hi! Sorry to hear that you have MS but glad you have not given up your love for gardening. Good exercise and organic eating. Wonderful that you can help out at the church garden and save some of your plants. I found out this year that I have chronic Lyme Disease. It is quite a bit better but we have downsized our yard also. Hubby has neuropathy so can't do a whole lot out there. Sounds like you have a wonderful husband to help you. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy I'm so sorry I missed this! I did not get s notification! So sorry to hear about the Lyme disease! Yes j have a very helpful hubby! So much is on his shoulders some days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Shawn Ann for responding. I have a friend that has MS. Hoping you will be able to keep up to your gardens. I wish I would have a little more space than a small courtyard but that is what they do in that community. Besides with the lyme and hubby's neuropathy and being a senior citizen it may be all we can keep up to!! LOL I bet your new house on on one floor will be so much easier for you. Take care. Nancy

    ReplyDelete